Summer coolers to beat the heat
DNA | Apr 16, 2011, 12:14PM IST
Summer's a great time for some fruity fun and who said fruits are boring? With these super-easy cocktail recipes, you can whip up summer sippers that may not do wonders for your health but are sure to be great for the spirit!
2 cups white sugar
7 cups water
4 tea bags
2 cups boiling water
35 ml frozen lemonade concentrate
35 ml frozen orange juice concentrate
2 cups gin
* Put 7 cups water in large saucepan, and heat on high until boiling.
* Add sugar and stir until dissolved; set aside to cool. Place teabags in 2 cups boiling water, and let steep until desired strength is acquired.
* In a large bowl, mix together sugar water, tea, lemonade concentrate and orange juice concentrate. Stir in gin. Place in freezer container and freeze overnight.
* To serve, place several scoops into a tall glass, and fill with any clear carbonated beverage.
Classic Spanish Sangria
Half a pineapple
1 1/2 cups rum
1/2 cup white sugar
1 (750ml) bottle dry red wine
1 cup orange juice
* Have the fruit, rum, wine, and orange juice well chilled.
* Slice the lemon, pineapple and orange into thin rounds and place in a large glass pitcher. Pour in the rum and sugar. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours to develop the flavours.
* When ready to serve, crush the fruit lightly with a wooden spoon and stir in the wine and orange juice. Adjust sweetness to taste.
3 large cucumbers
1tbs chopped fresh rosemary, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
1 cup water
3/4 cup gin
1/2 cup lemon juice
Sugar syrup to taste
* Cut 12 thin slices of cucumber for garnish.
* Peel and chop the rest of the cucumber; transfer to a food processor, add rosemary, and puree. Pour the puree through a fine-mesh strainer set over a medium bowl or large measuring cup. Press on the solids to extract all the juice.
* Add water, gin, lemon juice, and sugar syrup to the cucumber juice.
* Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses. Garnish with cucumber slices and rosemary sprigs.
4 cups seedless red grapes, plus more for garnish
2tbs lemon juice
2 cups seltzer
3/4 cup vodka
* Puree grapes in a blender.
* Pour the puree through a fine-mesh strainer set over a medium bowl or large measuring cup. Press on the solids to extract all the juice.
* Add lemon and honey to the juice; stir until the honey is dissolved.
* Add seltzer and vodka. Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses. Garnish with whole grapes
Image Courtesy: blogspot.com