Kerala Fried Worms: KFC under fire after worms served with chicken
Dailybhaskar.com | Oct 09, 2012, 11:27AM IST
Thiruvananthapuram: Chicken and fast food chain KFC outlet in Thiruvananthapuram was closed down on Monday after a customer found worms in the fried chicken delicacy served to him.
According to reports, the KFC outlet at MG road will remain shut until orders from Food Safety Commissionerate while three other units of the fast food chain have come under scanner where in food safety officers conducted raids and collected food samples.
The incident took place when A Shiju, a resident of Palode had come to KFC with his wife, sone and two cousins. The family was shocked to see worms creeping inside the piece of 'fiery chicken' they had ordered. After close examination, they found more worms. What added to the fear of the family was that they were going to feed the piece to their 18-month-old baby.
As Shiju alerted the KFC staff, they promised them replace the chicken with fresh piece but he declined. "I rang up a friend of mine in the health department and another in the police. But then, the staff began saying the food was not served by them and that I’d brought it from outside,” said Shiju, who works in Saudi Arabia.
Acting on the complaint, food safety officers inspected the place and collected food samples. During the inspection, it was found that the outlet didn't maintain adequate sanitation guidelines even as some seized chicken was allegedly as much as five months old.Having found the worms in the dish, the food safety officers shut the outlet temporarily. The outlet was opened in May. It was learnt that the licence of the KFC outlet was also suspended.
The chicken was said to be sourced from Suguna Chickens, Coimbatore.
Following the incident, other KFC outlets have also come under scanner and are being inspected by the food safety inspectors.