No Ram Navmi puja at Ayodhya site this year
Bhaskar News | Apr 16, 2013, 03:01AM IST
Ayodhya (UP): The 64-year-old practice of performing rituals at the disputed site in Ayodhya on Ram Navami may face a halt in 2013 as district administration has decided not to allow any religious activity in the area.
Only court appointed priest, Acharya Satyender Das, has been allowed to perform religious activities on the 67 acre land, which had been taken over by the Centre.
However, for the last 19 years, locals associated with the Ram Janma Bhoomi Seva Samiti have been performing prayers at the disputed site on Ram Navami, which falls on April 19, 2013.
On January 28, 2013, Supreme Court had ordered status quo on 67 acre land adjacent to the disputed site here and restrained any kind of religious activity in the area.
District Magistrate Faizabad Vipin Kumar Dwivedi said, "We will ensure that no religious sentiments are hurt. But, we will abide by the Supreme Court's orders and maintain status quo, as defined in various judgements."
After strong opposition from the oldest litigant of Babri Masjid case, Hashim Ansari, the local administration may not allow religious activities this year.
"We were objecting violation of the court's orders for the last 19 years, and, this time, we approached the observers appointed by Supreme Court," said Khaliq Ahmad Khan, a petitioner in the case.