Who massacred 108 people in Syria?
Syria: Syrian President Bashar-Al-Assad has denied any role of the government in the last months massacre of 108 innocent civilians in Houla. Addressing the National Parliament he said that the act was an heineous one and it was a conspiracy to destablize his government.
More than 100 people, many of them children, were killed in the attack overnight between 25 and 26 May, most knifed or shot at close range.
Mr Assad described the killings as an "ugly crime" that even "monsters" would not carry out. He blamed "foreign meddling" for Syria's divisions.
The incident happened on the 25th day of May. An 18 hour shellfire resulted in the death of 108 innocent civilians, including 49 children and 34 women. The reports suggested that no more than 20 were killed by the shellfire. The rest were executed in cold-blood.
Unconfirmed reports have suggested that pro-government Shabiha group entered the village of Taldou inside Houla, killing people at home, shooting them in the head or slitting their throats.
However, the government investigation blames armed groups seeking to trigger foreign military intervention.
The massacre has triggered international condemnation and led to several countries expelling Syrian diplomats in protest.
He said Syria was "facing attempts to weaken Syria, breach its sovereignty".
The only way to resolve the crisis, he said, was through political dialogue. But he said he would not negotiate with those who, he said, did not represent the will of the Syrian people.
The country is on the verge of a civil war. So far over 20,000 people have been supposedly killed.
Violence continued on Saturday in Syria where, according to the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights quoted by Agence France Presse, 89 people, including 57 soldiers were killed.
It was the largest number of casualties the military has suffered in a single day since the uprising began in March 2011.