Home»Delhi» BEWARE! ‘Zero Tolerance’ Toward Crime Against Women In Delhi Now

BEWARE! ‘Zero Tolerance’ towards crime against women in Delhi now

  • Dailybhaskar.com
  • Jan 19, 2013, 03:40 AM IST
BEWARE! ‘Zero Tolerance’ towards crime against women in Delhi now
+5

New Delhi: The Security Commission for Delhi on Thursday issued direction to Delhi Police to show ‘zero tolerance’ towards crime against women and adopt high importance toward safety and security of women in the national capital.

During the meeting, the commission also directed the state police to register complaints in verbatim as told by the victim or their family. “FIR on all crime against women will be recorded and registered as it is stated by the complainant,’’ said Tejendra Khanna.

The meeting held under the chairmanship of Lieutenant-Governor Tejendra Khanna at Raj Niwas was attended among others by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Leader of Opposition in Assembly VK Malhotra and Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar.

Tejendra Khanna said directions have been issued to all the police personnel to show respect towards women including installing 'women helpdesks' in all the police stations.

Now onwards, women can lodge their complaints directly with Special Commissioner of Police Sudhir Yadav.

It was also conveyed that all drivers/conductors/cleaners of public vehicles will be checked, verified and cleared by the police.

These measures have been taken in the wake of December 16 gang-rape-murder case in which a 23-year old paramedical student was gang raped and assaulted to death by a group of six men. The following days witnessed a massive protest throughout the country for safety and security of women in the public domain.

 

Find out more by clicking on the following slides

  • 2 of 5
    BEWARE! ‘Zero Tolerance’ towards crime against women in Delhi now

    DEATH FOR ALL: Damini’s father wants death sentence for all the six accused

    As the Delhi gang rape case was transferred to a fast-track court in Delhi on Thursday, the father of the 23-year old victim wants the culprits to be given death sentence. He is also hopeful of harsh punishment to the juvenile also.

    The father of the Delhi gang-rape victim said his family is still in a state of shock over their loss, but expressed satisfaction with the positive change in attitude towards such incidents in the country.

    Some changes have been noticed within a month of the incident. Earlier rape cases were hushed up, but now police and other officials have shown sensitivity towards such incidents. Media was also highlighting such incidents, he said.

    "Often reports were not lodged in rape cases previously, but now action is being taken against criminal elements...," he said on Thursday.

    He said his family was happy with the government's decision to transfer his daughter's case to a fast-track court as this would facilitate hearing on a daily basis.

    The family, who had come to their village to perform rituals, returned to Delhi.

    The 23-year-old girl was gang-raped and assaulted by six men in a moving bus on December 16. She later passed away in a Singapore hospital on December 29.

  • 3 of 5
    BEWARE! ‘Zero Tolerance’ towards crime against women in Delhi now

    Will juvenile be tried as an adult?

    The Supreme Court issued notices to Delhi Police and Centre to reply on a PIL that sought juvenile to be tried as an adult. The PIL was filed by a Chandigarh-based lawyer that sought the juvenile be considered an adult stating that the mental age should be the parameter to consider a criminal either juvenile or adult.

    In his PIL submitted before the Apex Court, the lawyer contended that since the juvenile in the horrific Delhi gang rape case was most brutal among all the six accused, he should be tried as an adult along with other five accused.

    The accused has been claiming to be a minor, with reports suggesting that he is 17 year old after  two of his former school principal gave testimony  before the Juvenile Justice Board. The Juvenile Justice Board has reserved its order for January 28.

    If the court is not satisfied with the statements and the proof presented by the principals, it may order a bone-ossification test.

  • 4 of 5
    BEWARE! ‘Zero Tolerance’ towards crime against women in Delhi now

    Trial and punishment: Delhi gang-rape reaches fast-track court 

    The Delhi gang rape case is set to take a new direction from January 21 as the case has been committed to fast-track court in Delhi on Thursday. The hearing will begin from January 21 in the fast track court.

    The Saket court examined the documents filed along with the chargesheet against the five accused in the Delhi gangrape-murder case following allegations by legal counsel that several documents in the chargesheet were incomplete and illegible.

    Even after over a month of the horrific gang-rape incident that took place in a moving bus in South Delhi, the fate of the accused is still awaited.

    Earlier, protests gathered momentum on Wednesday after protesters staged a mock funeral of the victim, various women's and students' organisations have decided to hold a 'freedom parade' at 2 pm on January 26 from Mandi House to Jantar Mantar.

    Earlier on Tuesday, the Juvenile Justice Board reserved its order on the age of the minor accused in the case till January 28. On Tuesday, two school principals, former and current, of the minor accused appeared before the court. 

  • 5 of 5
    BEWARE! ‘Zero Tolerance’ towards crime against women in Delhi now

    ‘Driver of the bus' wants his case to shifted elsewhere

    The bus driver who is prime accused in the Delhi gang-rape case, Ram Singh, on Thursday reportedly planned to move to Supreme Court to request for moving his case outside the national capital.

    Appearing before the Saket court, Ram Singh reportedly said he was apprehensive of getting justice in a court based in Delhi. The court extended the judicial custody of all the five accused till January 21. Defence counsel of Ram Singh said his client would not get justice if trial continued in any court in Delhi. He further said his counsel wanted his case to be shifted to any other state except Uttar Pradesh.

    The Saket court examined the documents filed along with the chargesheet against the five accused in the Delhi gangrape-murder case following allegations by legal counsel that several documents in the chargesheet were incomplete and illegible.

Stories You May Be Interested In

  • loader
    NEXT STORY