Home»Delhi» I Didn't Do It, Other Five Are Guilty, Says Delhi Gang-Rape Accused

I didn't do it, other five are guilty, says Delhi gang-rape accused

  • Dailybhaskar.com
  • Jul 12, 2013, 00:37 AM IST
I didn't do it, other five are guilty, says Delhi gang-rape accused, delhi news in English

delhi news in English

New Delhi: After one of the accused of the December 16 gang-rape and murder of a 23-year-old girl claimed innocence, the second accused on Thursday told a Delhi court that he was not involved in the heinous crime and that the other five co-accused had brutally assaulted and gang-raped the female physiotherapy intern in a moving bus.
Trying to wash his hands off the crime, Mukesh contended before Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna that he was only driving the bus, while the other co-accused committed the crime and threw the girl and her male friend out of the bus near a flyover.
"I was only driving the bus. The other accused - Ram Singh, who was found dead in his cell in Tihar Jail on March 11; Akshay Thakur; Pawan Gupta; Vinay Sharma and a juvenile - were present in the bus and they put off the light inside the bus at a flyover near Malai Mandir in south Delhi," Mukesh said in reply to the question put by the judge.
Before Mukesh, another co-accused claimed innocence saying he had left for his native village in Bihar a day before the incident. 
Co-accused Akshay Thakur told the fast-track court, "I was not in the bus at the time of the incident. I left Delhi on December 15 for my village."
On being asked by the judge why they had picked up the victim and her friend from the bus stop at Munirka in south Delhi, Mukesh said they had stopped the bus as the youth had gestured with his hand to board it.
He also claimed that he, along with the other five co-accused, had not beaten or robbed a carpenter in the bus on that night.
The police said Ramadhar, a carpenter, was lured into the bus and robbed by six people before they gang-raped the woman in the moving vehicle.
Appearing as a prosecution witness, Ramadhar identified the four accused in the court as those who had robbed and assaulted him on December 16 night.
Mukesh said Ramadhar boarded the bus on his own but was asked to get down from the vehicle after he refused to pay the fare.
Mukesh said it is correct that Ramadhar boarded the bus on his own on December 16, 2012, evening from Sabzi Market in Sector 4 of RK Puram in south Delhi. It is wrong to submit that he was thrown out of the bus. He got off at IIT flyover on his own, Mukesh said.
The young girl, who was brutally beaten with an iron rod and gang-raped on December 16 night in the moving bus here, died on December 29 in a Singapore hospital where she was undergoing treatment.
Six people, including the juvenile, were arrested in the case.
While accused Ram Singh, Mukesh, Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur were tried by a fast track-court in Saket in south Delhi, the juvenile's case was heard by the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB).
The case against Ram Singh was dropped after his death in the jail.
The trial against the juvenile has been completed and the JJB reserved his judgement for July 25.


  • loader