Home»Health» 13 Foods That Can Kill Your Dog

13 foods that can kill your Dog

  • Dailybhaskar.com
  • Apr 26, 2013, 15:29 PM IST
13 foods that can kill your Dog, health news in English

health news in English

Are you in the habit of throwing table food to your pet?

If yes, then it is pretty obvious that your veterinarian didn’t tell you that a large number of human foods are dangerous to pets.

Your pet may love this food but it can be fatal if eaten. It is very tempting to offer pets food from the table, but pets should not be given human food unless recommended by the veterinarian.

Here is a list of foods that you can eat but should dare not to feed:

1. Gums

2. Candy

3. Mints

4. Toothpaste

5. Mouthwash

The above products consist of Xylitol which is an artificial sweetener. It causes a sudden release of insulin in the body that leads to Hypoglycaemia or low blood sugar in dogs. It can also cause liver damage. Within 30 minutes of eating, the dog may vomit and be lethargic.  Sometimes the signs take many days to come up. Such toxicity in dogs can be fatal if untreated.

6. Chocolate

7. Coffee

8. Caffeine

They contain Obromine, a chemical that is toxic to dogs in large quantities.  Amounts of the chemical vary with the type of chocolate. Like, dark chocolate contains more of these than milk chocolate, so a dog would need to eat more milk chocolate to be sick. However, no amount or type of chocolate should be considered safe for a dog to eat. Such toxicity can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, rapid or irregular heart rate, restlessness, muscle tremors, and seizures. Death can occur within 24 hours of ingestion.

9. Grapes

10. Raisins

These are responsible for sudden kidney failure in both cats and dogs. The toxic agent is in these fruits is unknown. However, clinical signs can occur within 24 hours of eating and include vomiting, diarrhoea, and tiredness.

11. Avocados

Avocado leaves, fruit, and plant bark are all toxic. Clinical signs in dogs and cats include vomiting and diarrhoea.

12. Garlic

13. Onions

The chemicals in onions damage red blood cells in cats and dogs. Affected red blood cells lose their ability to carry oxygen effectively. Cooking these foods does nothing to their toxicity.

Hence, Human food items should never be given to pets unless recommended by the veterinarian. On suspicion that your pet has eaten a hazardous item, contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.



Photo courtesy: dtb-cutedog.blogspot.in

Stories You May Be Interested In

  • loader