Love life of a dreaded gangster: Dawood in the 90s
Find out more by clicking on the following slides
- 2 of 11Mumbai underworld in the 80s was ruled by the likes of Vardarajan Mudaliar, Karim Lala and Haji Mastan.Dawood brought his own additions to the crimes they indulged in.At times, Dawood Ibrahim has been linked to the Bollywood film industry, as well as real estate and betting businesses, from which his D-Company is said to derive considerable revenue.It was around this time that rumours surfaced of his relationship with Bollywood actress Mandakini, which she denied.
- 3 of 11Just a year after the Mumbai blasts photographs surfaced of the Don with this young actress.Mandakini was just 16 years old when she entered Hindi films. It is often said that Dawood’s influence got her in.
- 4 of 11
Dawood in the 90s had become a dreaded and hated name. Unlike his predecessors who only indulged in smuggling as their major activity, Dawood dealt in arms, terror and prostitution, not to mention drugs.
- 5 of 11Mandakini born 30 July 1969, as Yasmeen Joseph is a former Bollywood actress. She had a brief, controversial career in Hindi movies and was rumoured to have a relationship with gangster Dawood Ibrahim.Mandakini acted in a few more successful films, such as Dance Dance, with Mithun Chakraborty and Pyaar Karke Dekho with Govinda, but never managed to recreate the success of her first movie.
- 6 of 11Rumours had already been doing the rounds that the two were having an affair, and the photos only served to fuel them. One of the theories put forward was that Ibrahim, who was known to have a keen interest in Bollywood and had financed movies, had pressured Rishi Kapoor into casting Mandakini, and she was his mistress. Later, it was alleged that she had moved to Dubai to be with him.Mandakini vehemently denied all rumours linking her to Dawood. While she admitted to knowing and being on friendly terms with him, she claimed that they did not know each other personally, let alone be a couple.
- 7 of 11
Photographs of him with other Bollywood celebrities also began to be circulated.
- 8 of 11
At 16, she was cast in the lead role in Raj Kapoor's 1985 movie, Ram Teri Ganga Maili opposite his youngest son, Rajiv Kapoor.
The movie was a hit, and it earned Mandakini a Filmfare nomination as Best Actress.
The film also caused a stir because of two scenes: one in which Mandakini bathes in a waterfall wearing only a flimsy white saree through which her breasts were clearly visible and another in which she was shown breast-feeding a child.
Some critics claimed that the scenes were vulgar and exploitative, and were used to get around the Indian Film Censor Board's stringent rules against nudity.
Kapoor, as usual, defended the inclusion of the scenes stating that they were tasteful.
- 9 of 11Mandakini acted in a few more successful films, such as Dance Dance, with Mithun Chakraborty and Pyaar Karke Dekho with Govinda, but never managed to recreate the success of her first movie.
- 10 of 11
Her career suffered a serious setback after the rumours and photographs. She quit movies after Zordaar in 1996
- 11 of 11
As of 1990, Mandakini is married to a former Buddhist monk, Dr. Kagyur T. Rinpoche Thakur (who was famous as the Murphy baby) with children. She has a daughter named Rabze.Since then, she has made attempts to reinvent herself.She released two pop music albums — No Vacancy and Shambala — neither of which was a success.Currently, she runs classes in Tibetan yoga and is a follower of the Dalai Lama.With her husband, she runs a centre for Tibetan medicine, which is commonly known as the Tibetan Herbal Centre in the area.In January 2010 her husband confirmed that Mandakini would be co-directing an English film with him.