5 most interesting facts about the mystic Hanging Gardens of Babylon
- Mar 15, 2013, 18:30 PM IST
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon were one of the Seven Wonders of the World. They were purportedly built in the ancient city-state of Babylon, near present-day Al Hillah,Babil province, in Iraq. We bring to you some of the most interesting facts about them. Read on to find out.
1.The Hanging Gardens of Babylon had plants cultivated above ground level, and the roots of the trees are embedded in an upper terrace rather than the earth.
2. The Hanging Gardens were a total of 56 miles long.
3. Fortresses and temples in the gardens contain immense statues of solid gold.
4. King Nebuchadnezzar ruled the city of Babylon for 43 years.
5. The pillars, vaults and terraces were built with baked brick and asphalt.
Stories You May Be Interested In