UP fake encounter: 31 years later, daughter weeps for slain father
Find out more by clicking on the following slides
- 2 of 6
Just as in the DSP shootout in Kunda, policemen who had accompanied DSP KP Singh fled from the scene when he was shot.
They later returned to wreak such havoc on the town that the VP Singh govt of that time was shaken to the roots.
- 3 of 6
Police had framed 12 villagers as dacoits and shot them on the banks of the river. An investigative team during Mulayam Singh’s rule had declared the incident as a fake encounter.
The CBI in its investigations found that SI RB Saroj had on the 12th of March 1982 had informed then SP of Ginda Yashpal Singh of armed dacoits who would be meeting in the home of villager Rambaran.
- 4 of 6
Gonda DSP KP Singh was placed in charge of the operation to deal with the dacoits. On the fateful day of 13th March 1982 he had knocked on Rambaran’s door. He was shot at from within the house and succumbed to his injuries on the way to the hospital.
A police force later returned to Gonda, dragged 12 villagers to the riverside and shot them at pointblank range.
CBI reports revealed that there was no encounter as the policemen claimed. Each of the victims had been shot from the front and at very close range.
Moreover, there were no traces of gunshots or any kind of scuffle in the houses near the area where the encounter is said to have taken place.
Court records reveal that the first report of the carnage was filed in Katra station of Gonda. All police reports then stated that KP Singh had been shot by dacoits holed up inside Rambaran’s house when he went to oust them from their hideout as directed by his seniors.
The reports also said that 12 villagers who were actually dacoits were killed by police in an encounter. On the 24th of Feb 1984, CJM Gonda accepted the reports of the police as final.
The slain DSP’s wife refused to accept what the court had said and she challenged the police report in the Supreme Court.
On the 24th of Feb the SC handed over the case to the CBI.
- 5 of 6The CBI filed chargesheets against 19 people on the 28th of Dec 1989 and on the 7th of Sept 2001; CBI Special Court prepared the case. 10 died of natural circumstances in the course of the investigation.The slain DSP’s daughter Kunjal Singh is the DM of Bahraich.She says that she would have been even happier if her mother were alive. She had passed away from cancer in 2004.
- 6 of 6This is the site where the events of the fateful day of March 13th 1982 unfolded.
- This is the house where DSP KP Singh was fired at.
- He lay injured under this very tree.
- It was while knocking on this door that he suffered the bullet wounds that cost him his life.