Pak announces award for information on Hamid Mir's attackers
- Nov 26, 2012, 18:15 PM IST
Islamabad: Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said that a thorough investigation will be carried out to find out who carried the failed bomb attack on Hamid Mir's life, Senior Anchor, Geo TV.
Malik said that a committee will be formed that would include two journalist and would be chaired by magistrate to probe the incident.
Rehman Malik speaking to news reporters said that the bomb was potentially lethal and would have caused extensive damage to nearby buildings had it exploded.
Malik also announced an award for anyone who gives information about the attempted terror attack.
Hamid Mir acknowledged that there had been a security threat to his life and he was warned by Rehman Malik himself about the threat. He praised the quick response of the bomb disposal squad who successfully defused the bomb without any damage.
Earlier today, a bomb was found under the vehicle of Geo News' senior anchor Hamid Mir in Islamabad on Monday.
Pakistan-based Geo News reported that Hamid Mir had gone to a market in his car and after returning home, the driver spotted a suspicious bag under his car.
The bomb disposal squad was immediately called in to remove the bag after which it was revealed that the bag contained half kg of explosive material that was defused by the squad, initial reports said.
Hamid Mir is also a news anchor, terrorism expert, and security analyst who regularly participates in international conferences. He is also known for his columns in Urdu, Hindi, Bengali, and English newspapers and hosts a popular political talk show on Geo TV with the name of Capital Talk.
He was banned from TV by the military regime of General Pervez Musharraf in 2007. He was again banned by the Zardari-led Pakistan Peoples Party's (PPP) government in June 2008. He was awarded Pakistan high civil decoration Hilal-i-Imtiaz by President Zardari under the PPP governm