Dailybhaskar.com | Last Modified - Jan 03, 2014, 08:47 AM IST
The official Micromax leakster has revealed some information about the Canvas 5 today.
The leakster @MMXNewscaster has tweeted “Micromax Canvas 5 has a 1080p display and best ever design”. The company has just launched a new smartphone in the Canvas range called the Canvas Turbo with the MediaTek 6589 Turbo quad-core processor, and might be tweeting about a new upcoming flagship phone.
Here’s why we believe a new flagship is coming.
(1) It is difficult to understand anything from the naming and product numbers of Micromax phones. The Canvas 110 was called Canvas 2, after which the flagship Canvas HD A116 happened. This was not called the Canvas 3. In between the company launched a Canvas A110Q as a hardware upgrade of Canvas A110. (Canvas A110 was a dual-core device and Canvas A110Q was based on a quad-core processor.)
(2) The metal mid-body Canvas A240 was clearly the Canvas 4. After this the Canvas Turbo was released in October. This was more a hardware upgrade of the Canvas 4 with almost the same specs and an added full-aluminum body, full HD 1080p display. (Canvas 4 ran on the MediaTek 6589 processor and the Canvas Turbo ran on the MediaTek 6589 T processor.) The company has formally not called this phone as the Canvas 5 yet.
(3) In the month of September the leakster @MMXNewscaster tweeted - “Micromax planning to launch it's new flagship device in November?” Soon after this the Canvas Turbo was teased and launched quietly with Hugh Jackman as brand ambassador. It came silently for sale at the Micromax store.
The Canvas 4 was launched in a grand launching event with Chitrangada Singh where the company also offered free handsets to first few who booked the phone without even knowing the specs of Canvas 4. We don’t think the company will go for no big launch event for a flagship device. Something big is still to come, we believe.
(4) Soon after the Canvas Turbo launch the leakster tweeted “Micromax's Octa Core phone is real. Will hit market in early 2014.” Later the Micromax co-founder Rahul Sharma confirmed in an interview Micromax 4G LTE smartphone is coming soon. Whether the octa-core processor phone will be the 4G LET ready phone or not is yet to be revealed.
We can expect an octa-core flagship in the end of January. (around the same time when the Canvas HD was announced in January 2013).
(5) Today MediaTek has officially launched its 8-core processor chip for mobile phone makers. The leakster’s tweet on the Canvas 5 surprisingly comes today, and we can relate it to an upcoming octa-core Canvas phone from Micromax.
(6) In January Canvas HD was announced. This phone landed in stores on the February 14 and saw huge rush. With the Canvas 4 the company enjoyed another rush with more than 9000 bookings as soon as it came for pre-order. The Canvas Turbo was assumed as the Canvas 5 and signing of Hugh Jackman only strengthened the speculations. But the compnay went for a silent launch and also did not call it Canvas 5. After two successful launches, this was not expected from the company. We can estimate, the Canvas Turbo was not 'The Big Thing' from the company.
What does not go in favor of our arguments?
(1) The tweet is very confusing and seems referring to the Canvas Turbo as a full HD phone. “Micromax Canvas 5 has a 1080p display and best ever design” stands true for Canvas Turbo also.
(2) The Canvas Turbo was aimed to compete with the iPhone 5S, 5C and the Nexus 5 and it should come as no surprise if Micromax prefers referring to Canvas Turbo as Canvas 5.