DNA | Last Modified - Feb 26, 2012, 04:56 AM IST
Jaipur: The Rajasthan high court's contempt notice to the government over withdrawal of quota in promotion has got the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribe employees into hectic lobbying to build pressure on the state government. Several rounds of meeting were held between employees from the reserved category and their representatives in the Cabinet on Saturday. After their meetings, including the one with chief minister Ashok Gehlot, their Union leaders warned of mass resignation if the government failed to keep their interests safe.
The different organisations have decided to hold a special meeting on Sunday to decide their future course of action, ahead of the Supreme Court hearing of the state government's appeal against HC's contempt order.
"Since morning we have been getting lot of messages from ST and SC employees who are willing to put in their papers as a mark of protest. To decide on the course of action a meeting has been called on Sunday," Rajpal Meena, district president, STSC Arakshan Manch said.
Earlier on Saturday employees of SC, ST met Congress leaders and met chief minister Ashok Gehlot and chief secretary Salauddin Ahmed.
"Reservation is our constitutional right and it cannot be withdrawn by amendment in constitution. We have conveyed our message to the chief minister. We want government to protest our rights guaranteed in the constitution," Meena told DNA.
Members of the Union met ST and SC leaders including cabinet ministers Ashok Bairwa and Mahendrajeet Singh Malviya. "They had come to meet us and spoke of their problems. The government is committed for the welfare of all castes," Bairwa said," adding that, "The court's decision would be final and binding on everyone." The Rajasthan high court held the state government guilty of contempt of court for failing to implement its orders on reservation and accelerated promotions. The state government filed a Special Leave Petition (SLP) in the Supreme Court (SC) on Friday to buy time.