Dailybhaskar.com | Last Modified - Aug 22, 2011, 02:20 PM IST
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday said the government was open for debate on the Lokpal Bill and all concerned individuals should convey their concerns to their representatives in Parliament and to the Standing Committee that is examining the legislation.
The Lokpal Bill, 2011 was introduced in Lok Sabha on 4 August. It was referred to the Department Related Parliamentary Standing Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice, headed by Dr. Abhishek Manu Singhvi, Member, Rajya Sabha on 8 August for examination and report within three months.
The Bill seeks to provide for the establishment of the institution of Lokpal to inquire into allegations of corruption against certain public functionaries and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
However, Team Anna has launched a nation-wide protest demanding the withdrawal of the government’s Lokpal Bill and introduction of the Jan Lokpal Bill prepared by the Civil Society by the end of the Monson Session of Parliament.
Let's take a look at the members of the standing committee who will discuss the Lokpal Bill and Jan Lokpal Bill submitted by Congress MP from Bareilly Praveen Singh Aron. There is also a third version of the Lokpal Bill by the NCPRI which will be presented to the standing committee by social activist Aruna Roy.
The committee consists of MPs belonging to 22 political parties including Lalu Yadav, Amar Singh, Manish Tewari. There are 31 members out of which 6 seats are vacant.
1. Dr. Abhishek Manu Singhvi, Chairman (Rajya Sabha), Congress, (Rajasthan)
2. Shri Parimal Nathwani Member (Rajya Sabha), Ind, (Jharkhand)
3. Shri Ram Vilas Paswan Member (Rajya Sabha), L.J.S.P (Bihar)
4. Shri Amar Singh Member (Rajya Sabha), Ind (Uttar Pradesh)
5. Shri Ram Jethmalani Member (Rajya Sabha) - Nominated
6. Shri Balavant alias Bal Apte Member (Rajya Sabha), BJP (Maharashtra)
7. Shri O.T. Lepcha Member (Rajya Sabha), SDF (Sikkim)
8. Smt. Chandresh Kumari Member (Lok Sabha), Congress
9. Shri Lalu Prasad Member (Lok Sabha), RJD
10. Shri D.B. Chandre Gowda Member (Lok Sabha), BJP
11. Shri Shailendra Kumar Member (Lok Sabha), SP (Uttar Pradesh)
12. Dr. Kirodi Lal Meena Member (Lok Sabha), Ind
13. Shri Harin Pathak Member (Lok Sabha) BJP, (Gujarat)
14. Shri N.S.V. Chitthan Member (Lok Sabha), Congress, (Tamil Nadu)
15. Smt. Deepa Dashmunsi Member (Lok Sabha), Congress
16. Jyoti Dhurve Member (Lok Sabha), BJP
17. Dr. Monazir Hassan Member (Lok Sabha), JD (U)
18. Shri Devji M. Patel Member (Lok Sabha), BJP
19. Shri S. Semmalai Member (Lok Sabha) AIADMK
20. Shri Vijay Bahadur Singh Member (Lok Sabha), BSP
21. Dr. Prabha Kishore Taviad Member (Lok Sabha), Congress
22. Shri Manish Tewari Member (Lok Sabha), Congress
23. Shri R. Thamaraiselvan Member (Lok Sabha), DMK
24. Shri P. T. Thomas (Idukki) Member (Lok Sabha), Congress
25. Kumari Meenakshi Natrajan Member (Lok Sabha), Congress
26. Vacant from Rajya Sabha
27. Vacant from Rajya Sabha
28. Vacant from Rajya Sabha
29. Vacant from Lok Sabha
30 Vacant from Lok Sabha
31 Vacant from Lok Sabha
(List of MPs in standing committee taken from website of Parliament of India)